Monday, February 7, 2011

Journal #4 ECHO

In class with week we left our normal class room environment and ventured to ECHO. ECHO is an organization with a goal to reduce hunger around the world by teaching how to plant and provide food for themselves. I think the idea of this group is great. Teaching others how to plant and run there own farm to reduce hunger around the world. I personally really enjoyed my time spent at ECHO, I do wish it had not gotten dark so quick so I would have been able to see more about ECHO. I haven't grown plants by myself except for maybe a school project or two. I one day might want to make my own little garden at my house for fun. I believe I could learn how to grow anything I wanted by researching information through the internet or library. The only thing I did not like about the group is that they seem to put religion behind the group. It seems that while they are teaching these skills to people they might be pushing Christianity down others throats which I am against. I am not a very religious individual at all but if you say your goal is to reduce hunger than you should leave religion out the picture.

At ECHO there were a bunch of different areas which represented certain environments.They try to find ways to grow agricultures no matter what the environment. The area I found most interesting was the urban growth area where they used tires and concrete bricks as pots to plant plants. Below is a photo of what the plants looked like being grown in tires.



I learned a lot about the different methods of farming. One thing that I found interesting was the water system that was simple yet such a great idea. The pump was powered like riding a bicycle and takes less work than carrying buckets all over the place. The system is affordable to make and wont break someones bank. Below is a photo of a pump similar to the one we saw at ECHO.





I got my image's from:

http://www.gardeninggonewild.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/school-gardens-resized-flowers-planted-in-tires.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2348183212_3317808a0b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment