Thursday, February 17, 2011

Journal #5 Ecological Footprint


After calculating my ecological footprint it has come to my attention that I and as well as others need to change our habits. My score was 7.5, meaning that it takes more than one world to sustain my lifestyle. Basically this means I need to take action and change certain ways I do things in order to be more environmental friendly. My weakest part on the graph was transportation. I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee which gets horrible gas mileage and I rarely drive with others in my car. It is sort of out of my control though as my parents bought me the vehicle and I don't have the money to buy a different car. Things that I could do to avoid wasting fossil fuels would be using my bike or walking to places that are in close proximity. One thing that I have been doing is keeping all the lights off during the day and making sure to turn off the tv when it is no longer being watched. I have also changed most of the light bulbs in my house to the new energy efficient light bulbs. On the top of the page is a picture of the light bulbs I now use. Theses bulbs decrease the electricity bill while at the same time lasting longer than the standard bulbs. I am very willing to attempt to change my lifestyle a little in order to promote sustainability. The thing is we need to focus more on passing on green living to our children. It is pretty much to hard for us to change our lifestyles the best thing we could do is change the lifestyle of the people in the future. I have already been doing what I can to practice sustainability but there is only so much a poor college student can do since green products and going green in itself is very pricey.



Links to picture I used:

http://imgsrv.qcountry1037.com/image/wqny/UserFiles/Image/going-green-ideas-save-money.jpg

http://smallbiztrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/sustainability2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment