Monday, April 11, 2011

Journal #10 Urban Fort Myers


In class the other day we ventured to downtown Fort Myers. We walked through the city and told the history of buildings and other structures. To be honest I was not really all that impressed with downtown Fort Myers. There really wasn't anything special about downtown besides a few things. I thought the fountain was really cool and had some history behind it. Also the idea that the dock area building used to be an actual fort during a war was cool. The building wan't all historic looking though and more modernized. I forgot exactly what the other building was now but it was one of the first post offices. Other than those few things downtown was not that impressive. The most interesting and historic piece that we saw was probably the federal post office because it looked really old and the art work was stunning. A picture of this building is located on the top of this post. It is shown at night where they light up the art sculpture known as "Caloosahatchee Manuscripts." If I were to have redesigned Fort Myers I am not sure to what I would do to change it. I would have kept the historic areas more intact and not changed them. One thing That bothered me a little was that everywhere I turned my head there was a law office, you might as well have named the city Fort Law.


I got my pictures from:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/68/41/43/edison-and-friends-fountain.jpg

http://americancityandcounty.com/weeklysnapshot/Eloise_Pennington_art.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment