Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Journal #6 Sense of Place

While venturing through my neighborhood I took close notice to wildlife, the environment and objects in the environment. Walking through my neighborhood has made me realize how a lot of things we do in today's time is not sustainable at all. Out of 92 homes in the housing development I live in one or two houses had solar heating panels on there roofs which are used to collect heat from the sun to warm their pool or spa. All the other houses either had electric heaters or gas heated pools. The reason why many people choose gas/electric over solar is solar heating takes time while electric and gas heat up much quicker. Below is a photo of a house with a solar heater on their roof.

I noticed that almost every house in the neighborhood had some type of plant species that is not native to Florida. This in itself disrupts the natural ecosystem. These plants can become invasive and steal nutrients from native plant species. My neighborhood is located a little ways out of the city in a more rural area, for that there is more wildlife. You can bet that every morning you will see a few deer running through the backyard. There also is a huge lake where alligators and many species of fish can be scene all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment